The historical map below shows the area that is now Barque Hill as it appeared before Brigantine Circle and Till Rock Lane existed. The map is from the State of Massachusetts Department of Public Works, printed in 1940 from a 1935 survey. (This is a fragment of the map. Click here to see the complete map.)
One can see that at that time the Shipwright’s house (56 Brigantine Circle) was reached by following Fox Hill Lane (remnants of which still run behind the house) rather than Barque Hill Drive. What is now Barque Hill Drive forked to the left toward the Rose Cottage, and to the right to the Kendall house (41 Brigantine). The absence of Route 3 is perhaps the most striking thing to note. The highway now bisects Bald Hill in a northwesterly direction.